Thursday, May 26, 2016

Homemade Worcestershire Sauce

Kid #5 over here has food allergies... specifically to gluten and corn... with a few other sensitivities (like bananas and non-organic apples)... but gluten and corn are the allergy biggies. At first, it was mind-boggling and ultra-frustrating to find gluten free foods that do NOT contain corn. Man alive, that's tough stuff! It's slowly getting easier to find alternatives for our little guy. But it's mainly caused me to purchase less processed food and make more things from home, which I suppose in the long run is better for our family's health.

I was gonna make homemade BBQ sauce for pulled pork this evening for dinner. Pretty much HAVE to make BBQ from scratch cuz almost all store bought brands have corn in some form in it-- with the exception of maybe something in the health food section-- but we live in the rural midwest-- it's not always an easy thing to get your hands on-- unless you order it online.

Anyways... I even made homemade, corn-syrup free ketchup for this recipe!!!
Got to the last step: add 2 T Worcestershire sauce. Sure thing... except the Worcestershire sauce I had, its second ingredient was corn syrup! For real?! They even put corn in Worcestershire sauce?! Grrrr. Corn is everywhere (seemingly)!

A quick look online afforded me a quick & easy alternative:


Homemade Worcestershire Sauce
1 T Worces. Sauce =

2 t GF soy sauce (or liquid aminos... which is what I used)
1/4 t lemon juice
1/4 t sugar
dash of hot sauce

It really wasn't hard at all to find/make a corn-free alternative.
And my BBQ was still as good as ever.
I'll be sure and share the recipe with y'all soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment